Philanthropy Day is CNE's annual community celebration of giving that has as its goal to educate, motivate and inspire the philanthropist in all of us.
Philanthropy and nonprofit work has an incredible transformative power in our nation and Philanthropy Day honors and celebrates this unique American tradition. As part of this event, CNE hosts a luncheon with a nationally-recognized guest speaker to provide new insights, strategies and perspectives on social innovation & effective philanthropy.
Each year Philanthropy Day draws a crowd of over 400 philanthropists, business leaders, nonprofit professionals and elected leaders. Past speakers include:
- Director of Rare Book School and Professor of English, University of Va, Michael Suarez, S.J.
- Chair of the Aspen Institute’s Forum for Community Solutions, Melody Barnes
- CEO and Co-Founder of Born Free Africa and Co-author of The Generosity Network, Jennifer McCrea
- MacArthur Genius Award winner, Bill Strickland of Manchester Bidwell Corporation
- President of Murphy Oil Corporation and founder of The El Dorado Promise, Claiborne Deming
- Executive VP of UVa Advancement, Bob Sweeney
- Author and venture philanthropist, Peter Kiernan
- NYU professor and former Brookings Institute fellow, Dr. Paul Light
- Duke professor and former ambassador, James Joseph
- Author Claire Gaudiani