High-impact boards start with board members who understand their role and how best to bring their skills to the board table. Join CNE Director of Strategic Partnerships, Cindy Colson, for this session (formerly titled, Board Orientation Workshop) designed to give board members a jump start on effective board service. Drawing from CNE’s Board Academy curriculum, and feedback from our members, this workshop will teach key roles and responsibilities of board members, include interactive exercises for skills development, and provide a unique networking opportunity for community members engaging in board service.
Topics covered will include:
- The unique role of the nonprofit sector
- Characteristics of a high-impact board
- Fiduciary duties of nonprofit boards
- The board’s role in fundraising and community engagement
- Board development as a strategic tool
- The board/CEO partnership
Participants will leave the workshop with a new understanding of their role as board members and the path to a high-impact board, as well as a toolkit of resource materials to take with them to the boardroom. This session is designed to make practical board training more readily available and to complement your organization’s own board orientation session or board education goals. New board members of area nonprofits are encouraged to attend, as are more experienced board members who seek a refresher course to sharpen their board knowledge. Nonprofit leaders are also welcome; this is a great opportunity to engage your new board leadership!
We believe that nonprofit boards are strongest when they learn and strive for continuous improvement together. We are pleased to offer a 10% discount on the total registration cost for our Board Essentials workshop when 3 or more board members (or staff) from the same organization attend the training together. If you’d like to take advantage of this discount, please contact Ian Coppage, Chief of Staff.
- This meeting will take place online. Registered participants will receive an invitation via email shortly before the beginning of the session.
- Come prepared to fully engage in the material and participate in all activities. Our trainers work to create an interactive, online learning environment for all participants. For this reason, the use of video is recommended where possible.
- CNE does not issue refunds or credit for missed trainings. Refunds will be issued for cancellations made 24 hours or more before the start of the training.
- We will not be providing a video recording of this training. However, participants will receive a copy of the trainer’s presentation and other relevant resources.
American Sign Language interpreters or other communication access accommodations are available upon request. Please submit any accommodations requests to CNE, 434-244-3330 or email@example.com.
|When||Wednesday, October 6, 2021 8:00AM - 12:00PM (EDT)|
|Trainer||Cindy Colson, Center for Nonprofit Excellence|