Last updated on June 3, 2020.
Nonprofit Needs Survey Results
On Wednesday, May 13th we hosted a virtual town hall to share the results and on-the-ground insights from our Nonprofit Needs Survey. You can view the recording, infographic, and slide deck here.
Financial Resources & Relief
See here for a summary memo of local, state and federal resources and financial relief available to nonprofits and their clients to manage through the COVID-19 crisis. Sign up for Virtual Office Hours or contact us for assistance.
These free sessions are part of CNE’s Practicing Strategic Resilience series, online programs that provide nonprofit practitioners with timely guidance on issues of the utmost concern during COVID-19. To see the date/time of all online programs, learn more, and register, please visit our Upcoming Trainings page. And check out recordings of our prior COVID-19 responsive programming on YouTube here.
Support Nonprofits. Support Communities.
We’ve created a Support Nonprofits, Support Communities graphic that we hope can serve as a unifying, visual representation of the importance of a resilient nonprofit sector. Now, more than ever, nonprofits need support to be responsive in crisis and agents for the recovery. We invite you to join our campaign in support of the work you – and all of our nonprofits – do that is vital to our community now and can help us create a brighter future for everyone. Want to join the campaign? Here’s how.
Virtual Office Hours
While we are working remotely, we are offering Virtual Office Hours for nonprofits to troubleshoot, get resources on any topic, and even vent if needed! See here to sign up. CNE members will have first dibs on the available slots. Can’t make the office hours? You can still contact Kadi Davis at email@example.com or 661-703-4503 anytime for technical assistance support.
We encourage all community stakeholders to check out our call to action in support of a resilient nonprofit sector. Our social impact organizations are a critical part of the web that knits our communities together and need support now more than ever. If you are willing to talk to the media, and help elevate the voices of those you serve, please contact Ian Coppage, firstname.lastname@example.org, with your organization’s contact name, email, phone number, and statement on how you’re adapting your programs in response to COVID-19.
CNE recognizes that the nonprofit financial landscape is deeply disrupted due to the coronavirus pandemic. We have partnered with CFA Institute to offer nonprofits a new service to help develop a streamlined, but customized financial modeling tool to consider different financial scenarios for maintaining financial stability through this pandemic and into recovery. The tool will give you the structure you need to forecast your financial future, including: identifying revenue and expense assumptions, determining potential variables, and proactively developing financial scenarios that help you manage financial risk. Find out more here.
*To see the full title of each webinar, please use the agenda view.
- Reopening Resources & Guide, CNE curated resources and an accompanying guide from our friends at the Oklahoma Center for Nonprofits, who have graciously allowed us to share this reopening resource specific to nonprofits.
- Virginia Model COVID-19 Preparedness Templates, Virginia Nonprofit Help
- Reimagining Strategy in Context of the COVID-19 Crisis: A Triage Tool, Center for Community Investment
- Strategic Thinking in a Long-Term Crisis, Up With Community
Scenario Planning Articles
- From Sustainability to Survivability: How Nonprofits Can Manage Uncertainty Amid Crisis, Spectrum Nonprofit Services
- Financial Leadership in the Face of Impossible Choices, Innovation in Nonprofit Finance Blog
Scenario Planning/Finance Resources & Tools
- Building Your New Normal: A Toolkit for Nonprofits, Scenario Modeling Tool, and Cash Flow Planning Template, Montana Nonprofit Association
- How to Scenario Plan for COVID-19 and 5 Box Scenario Planning Tool, The Management Center
- What Nonprofits Should Do Right Now, Nonprofit Finance Fund – cash flow projections and scenario planning tools
- Financial Management & Planning, Propel Nonprofits
- Nonprofit Crisis Management: A Checklist, The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Nonprofit Fundraising in the Age of Coronavirus, Harvard Business Review
- Fundraising & Philanthropy, BoardSource
- How to Manage Your Fundraising During COVID-19, Amy Eisenstein
- Anatomy of a COVID-19 Nonprofit Email + Thank You, Claire Axelrad
- A Novel Opportunity to Strengthen Public Trust in the Nonprofit World, The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Making a Powerful Case for Nonprofits, FrameWorks Institute
- COVID-19 Employer Frequently Asked Questions, SESCO Management Consultants
- HR Toolkit: The Employer’s Guide to COVID-19, Bankers Insurance
- What’s the Difference Between a Furlough and a Layoff?, Hirschler
- Tough Times Call for Tough Action: A Nonprofit Framework for Leaders and Boards, SeaChange
- How to be an Inclusive Leader Through a Crisis, Harvard Business Review
- Responding to COVID-19: The Role of the CEO & Board Chair in a Crisis, BoardSource webinar recording
- How Nonprofits and Board Members Can Respond to COVID-19, BoardSource
- Engaging Your Board as You Navigate COVID-19, BoardSource
- Virtual Board Meetings, BoardSource
- Best Practices for Nonprofit Boards, Nonprofit Finance Fund
- COVID-19 – Seven Things Philanthropy Can Do, FSG
- Time for Philanthropy to Double-Down in Response to COVID-19, Nonprofit Quarterly
- Foundation and Nonprofits See Crisis as Opportunity to Advance Equity, The Chronicle of Philanthropy
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Principles for a Common-Sense, Street-Smart Recovery, PolicyLink
- How to Center Race Equity in Your Organization’s COVID-19 Response, Independent Sector
- This is Not a Test: Philanthropy and Nonprofits in the 2020 Economic Shutdown, Nonprofit Quarterly
- COVID-19: Using a Racial Justice Lens Now to Transform Our Future, Nonprofit Quarterly
Mental Health and Wellness
- Stress First Aid questions for a team and related tool, shared by the Mental Health and Wellness Coalition
- The Mental Health & Wellness Coalition’s website contains resources and services and links to organizations offering support
- 20 Questions to Ask Instead of “How Are You Doing?”, Quartz at Work
- A Care Package for Uncertain Times, OnBeing
- COVID-19: How Nonprofits Can Facilitate Inclusive Online Gatherings, TechSoup
- 10 Tips for Staying Human on Video Calls, Nonprofit Quarterly
- A Guide to Remote Working for Nonprofits, Wild Apricot
- Remote Workers and Telecommuting for Nonprofits, National Council of Nonprofits
- 12 Tips for Managing Remote Teams, Harvard Business School Online
Remote Work Software
- Nonprofit Resources for Remote Work During the COVID-19 Outbreak, TechSoup
- Free Video Conferencing – Coronavirus Spurs Special Deals, ZDNet
- 9 Best Collaboration Tools for Remote Teams, High Fidelity
- Zoom vs Skype vs Hangouts vs GoToMeeting, Liquid Digital
- How to Keep Your Zoom Chats Private and Secure, Wired
- Charlottesville Tomorrow – up-to-date news and local health hotlines
- Collection of resources for nonprofits curated by nonprofit writers/bloggers
- Independent Sector – nonprofit sector response
- Nonprofit Finance Fund – scenario planning template, cash flow tool, financial modeling
- COVID-19 Resource Guide, Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Bloomerang – fundraising during COVID, sample appeals, collection of webinars
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy – fundraising and philanthropy considerations
- Sesco Management Consultants – employer FAQs, required notices and templates, and additional forms
- Nonprofit HR – HR
- Stanford Social Innovation Review – resilient leadership
- TechSoup – IT training for nonprofits and optimizing the use of technology
- Energize – for volunteer coordinators
- Risk Alternatives –risk management, contingency planning, remote work, and vulnerable populations
- The Bridgespan Group –nonprofits and funders, and managing through tough times
- Nonprofit Association of Oregon – anti-stigma, health, programming, and staff considerations