Last updated on April 7, 2020.
Financial Resources & Relief
See here for a summary memo of local funds and state and federal financial resources available to nonprofits and their clients to manage through the COVID-19 crisis. Sign up for Virtual Office Hours or contact us for assistance.
Nonprofit Needs Survey
As we manage through this crisis, we seek to gather information and feedback from you on your critical needs and challenges, and to reach out to funders and community partners to share how best to help the sector. We want to give a powerful, collective voice to what is most important to you right now. Please take five minutes to complete this nonprofit needs survey.
Virtual Office Hours
While we’ll be working remotely at least through April 3rd, we’ll be offering NEW virtual office hours, for nonprofits to troubleshoot, get resources on any topic, and even vent if needed! See here to sign up. CNE members will have first dibs on the available slots. Can’t make the office hours? You can still contact Kadi Davis at email@example.com or 661-703-4503 anytime for technical assistance support.
We encourage all community stakeholders to check out our call to action in support of a resilient nonprofit sector. Our social impact organizations are a critical part of the web that knits our communities together and need support now more than ever. If you are willing to talk to the media, and help elevate the voices of those you serve, please contact Ian Coppage, firstname.lastname@example.org, with your organization’s contact name, email, phone number, and statement on how you’re adapting your programs in response to COVID-19.
These FREE sessions are part of CNE’s Practicing Strategic Resilience series, online programs that provide nonprofit practitioners with timely guidance on issues of the utmost concern during the current crisis related to COVID-19. To see the date/time of all online programs, please visit our Upcoming Trainings page.
- Collective Sustenance: Peer Support for Nonprofit Leaders – CNE is launching a weekly virtual forum called Collective Sustenance, a facilitated discussion space for members of leadership and/or management teams (or leaders however you define them) to support and learn from one other while getting connected with helpful tools & resources.
- Virtual Town Hall: Understanding Financial Resources & Relief Available to Nonprofits – To help nonprofit navigate the rapidly changing landscape, we will hold a series of four virtual town halls. These sessions, guided by Kadi Davis, and Rahul Keshap, will provide up-to-date information as well as a platform to ask questions relevant to your current needs.
- HR Challenges During Our Current Crisis – Human resources professional Randi Carr, will help us orient ourselves to what really matters: our employees’ well-being. She’ll address two broad issues: caring for employees and the challenges of remote work before taking questions from attendees.
- Responsive Programming and Data Collection – Maryfrances Porter will offer five strategies for quickly pivoting during our current crisis. She’ll provide a specific focus on what programs to prioritize and how to quickly and effectively collect the data you need as you make changes to the work your organization does.
- What Your Brain Needs from You to Successfully Navigate All of this Uncertainty – Join us for a fascinating look at the neuroscience behind how your brain approaches uncertainty, fear, and change and why your brain needs your help to help you through it.
*To see the full title of each webinar, please use the agenda view.
- CNE summary memo of local funds and state and federal financial resources available to nonprofits and their clients
- Charlottesville Tomorrow –up-to-date news and local health hotlines
- Help Happens Here – mental health resources
Finance: Scenario Planning & Budgeting
- What’s the Difference Between Contingency and Scenario Planning?, GrantSpace
- From Sustainability to Survivability: How Nonprofits Can Manage Uncertainty Amid Crisis, Spectrum Nonprofit Services
- Financial Leadership in the Face of Impossible Choices, Innovation in Nonprofit Finance Blog
- What Nonprofits Should Do Right Now, Nonprofit Finance Fund – cash flow projections and scenario planning tools.
- Financial Management & Planning, Propel Nonprofits
- COVID-19 Employer Frequently Asked Questions, SESCO Management Consultants
- COVID-19 Employer Toolkit Designed for Nonprofits, Unemployment & Workforce Solutions
- What’s the Difference Between a Furlough and a Layoff?, Hirschler
- This is Not a Test: Philanthropy and Nonprofits in the 2020 Economic Shutdown, Nonprofit Quarterly
- How to Manage Your Fundraising During COVID-19, Amy Eisenstein
- Anatomy of a COVID-19 Nonprofit Email + Thank You, Claire Axelrad
- Avoid the 3 Biggest Mistakes of Fundraising in a Recession, The Fundraising Coach
- See resource above
- How Nonprofits and Board Members Can Respond to COVID-19, BoardSource
- What Nonprofit Board Members Should Be Doing Right Now to Address COVID, BoardSource
- Virtual Board Meetings, BoardSource
- COVID-19 – Seven Things Philanthropy Can Do, FSG
- Time for Philanthropy to Double-Down in Response to COVID-19, Nonprofit Quarterly
- A Few Things for Nonprofits and Funders to Consider in Light of the Coronavirus, Nonprofit AF
- A Guide to Remote Working for Nonprofits, Wild Apricot
- Remote Workers and Telecommuting for Nonprofits, National Council of Nonprofits
- Tips for Working Remotely from People Who Do it All the Time, Vidyard
- How to Embrace Remote Work, Trello – see p. 15 for digital tools
Remote Work Software
- Nonprofit Resources for Remote Work During the COVID-19 Outbreak, TechSoup
- Free Video Conferencing – Coronavirus Spurs Special Deals, ZDNet
- 9 Best Collaboration Tools, Inside Design
- 9 Best Collaboration Tools for Remote Teams, High Fidelity
- Zoom vs Skype vs Hangouts vs GoToMeeting, Liquid Digital
- Flattening the Coronavirus Curve, The New York Times
- World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – see left-hand bar for resources related to Work, Community and Faith-Based Organizations, Homeless Shelters, Events, Stigma and Resilience, etc)
- Virginia Department of Health,
- National Institutes of Health
- Collection of resources for nonprofits curated by nonprofit writers/bloggers
- Independent Sector – nonprofit sector response
- Nonprofit Finance Fund – scenario planning template, cash flow tool, financial modeling
- COVID-19 Resource Guide, Association of Fundraising Professionals
- Bloomerang – fundraising during COVID, sample appeals, collection of webinars
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy – fundraising and philanthropy considerations
- Sesco Management Consultants – employer FAQs, required notices and templates, and additional forms
- Nonprofit HR – HR
- TechSoup – IT training for nonprofits and optimizing the use of technology
- Energize – for volunteer coordinators
- Risk Alternatives –risk management, contingency planning, remote work, and vulnerable populations
- The Bridgespan Group –nonprofits and funders, and managing through tough times
- Nonprofit Association of Oregon – anti-stigma, health, programming, and staff considerations