This job is no longer active.
|Application Deadline||September 30, 2021|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Cultivate Charlottesville is seeking applications for Youth Engagement & Garden Coordinator position as part of our City Schoolyard Garden Program. The Youth Engagement & Garden Coordinator is primarily responsible for integrating garden education, mentoring and community outreach to build well-being and equity for Charlottesville youth. The Cultivate Charlottesville team recognizes the impact of systemic racism, individual bias, and white supremacy has on the Charlottesville community and all team members work to recognize, respond and dismantle inequities in the work we do.
The Youth Engagement & Garden Coordinator core functions include:
- Maintain Bountiful, Diverse Organic Vegetable, Fruit, and Herb gardens
- Manage three Charlottesville City School or neighborhood gardens in all phases of gardencare from design, to preparation, to planting, and harvest.
- Utilize sustainable ecological practices.
- Build needed infrastructure to keep the garden vibrant, safe and clean.
- Engage Students, Families, Partners and Community Members in CSG Activities
- Outreach with elementary school students and their families about events, engagement, and workdays.
- Participate in community events that build relationships to increase equity and enhance program goals.
- Support CSG communication efforts with blog posts, newsletter articles, and social media that share the story of our work with community members.
- Host School Garden Programming at Each Site
- Engage students and teachers in the garden through experiential activities and garden-based lessons that reflect the CSG Roots Educational Framework both during the academic school year and during the summer with summer camp programming.
- Host community-based after-school clubs with students in Hearthwood apartments and other priority neighborhoods.
- Enhance elementary school garden engagement across the district through the development of lessons and activities.
- Strengthen Organizational Goals and Values
- Contribute as part of the Cultivate Charlottesville team with organizational activities such as community events, social media and community outreach, evaluation tracking, lesson design, etc.
- Engage in a robust culture of inquiry where critical thinking, self-reflection and ideas on effectiveness, improvements, and building equity are welcome.
- Work to transform racial inequities in all aspects of your work with strategic and intentional action.
- Cultivate health and environmental sustainability in all program strategy and implementation.
- Each staff is also responsible for collecting and submitting evaluation data.
All Cultivate staff are responsible to uphold values and practices that support reaching our mission with integrity and which utilize our core organizational strategies including: Engage and educate youth in nature through garden based experiences; Grow and share food to enhance access, connectivity and health; Collaborate with partners and community; Dismantle racial inequities and actively build equity; Amplify community power, leadership and action; Mobilize with partners for policy change; Cultivate sustainability, equity, capacity, and leadership.
he Youth Engagement & Garden Coordinator requires multiple skill sets including a high level of organization and engagement, innovation and initiative, passion for engaging youth, flexibility and commitment to the Cultivate vision and values. The preferred candidate will have:
- A minimum bachelor’s degree OR at least 1-3 years experience in a related field (food justice, urban agriculture, community food systems, public health).
- Excellent research, communication and organization skills, ability to manage multiple projects and priorities with flexibility and alignment to our mission.
- Experience working in diverse communities with a clear understanding of multi-cultural contexts and racial equity practices, with a specific preference for experience in Charlottesville’s neighborhoods.
- Computer competence including MS Office Software (specifically Word and Excel), design and online tools.
- Value the self-determination of community members to address issues around food equity.
- Transportation and a good driving record.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and contacts for two references to Megan Donovan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include ‘Youth Engagement & Garden Coordinator’ in the subject line. In the cover letter, please address: How your experience is relevant to the Youth Engagement & Garden Coordinator; What interests you about working with Cultivate Charlottesville; and, Familiarity with Charlottesville in the context of racial equity. If you have the software, please bundle your cover letter, resume, and references into one PDF.