|Organization||Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry, Inc.|
|Application Deadline||January 28, 2023|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Local non-profit food pantry seeks an organized and motivated Warehouse Assistant to join our team. The Warehouse Assistant works with staff (Operations Managers, Dietitians, and Produce Assistants) and volunteers to ensure efficient food receipt and distribution to under-resourced people from Charlottesville and surrounding area.
• Learn and apply safe food handling practices and follow all health and safety procedures and regulations
• Receive, weigh in/out, and record items received and distributed to pantry visitors and partners
• Safely move to and store food in proper areas according to type (dry storage, refrigerators, freezers, etc.)
• Assist on-site volunteers with sorting, food packing & distribution responsibilities
• Assist with preparation for food distribution, delivery programs and partner agency reallocation
• Operate and maintain warehouse equipment and assist with general warehouse cleanliness and organization
• Stock items and assist with inventory counts
• Return food and equipment to proper storage and secure building at closing
• One day each week: pick up donations with company truck from designated partner grocery stores and agencies. The Warehouse Assistant is back-up driver when the primary driver is unavailable.
- Grocery warehouse experience preferred but not required
- Able to operate 24-ft. box truck, forklift, power and manual pallet jacks, cardboard baler
- Does not require CDL, but candidate will need a valid US driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Will train and certify in operation of forklift & warehouse equipment
- Physically able to lift 65 pounds or more
- Able to work flexible hours: position requires Tuesday and Thursday evenings and some Saturday mornings.
- Basic proficiency with computers using Microsoft Office, email and internet preferred
- Must be adaptable and able to work independently, efficiently, and productively in a fast-paced environment
- Must be at least 18 years old and authorized to work in the U.S.
- High School diploma or equivalent (required), college or some college (preferred)
- Excellent interpersonal communication and listening skills required.
- Must possess good organizational skills and a proactive mindset.
Successful candidates will be able to communicate effectively and work with diverse people, including staff, pantry visitors, grocery store personnel, and volunteers of all ages and backgrounds. Successful candidates must be pleasant but firm and patient when interacting with others and maintain high attention to detail.
Loaves & Fishes is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate against employees or applicants for employment based on an individual’s race, color, national origin, disability, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. Whenever possible, the company makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by law.
Benefits: Paid holidays, vacation, and health insurance