This job is no longer active.
|Application Deadline||April 18, 2019|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that brings people together to protect the land, air, and water of Central and Southern Appalachia and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 29 staff members located in offices in Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Boone, N.C., and Knoxville, Tenn.
Appalachian Voices is seeking a Field Coordinator to build statewide power and engagement in the growing energy democracy movement. This is a movement to empower communities with the tools necessary to decide their own energy future and work towards a cleaner, more affordable, and more just energy system.
Working under the supervision of the Virginia Program Manager in the Charlottesville, Va. office, the Field Coordinator’s goal will be to increase public awareness of energy issues affecting the lives of Virginians and help communities advocate for their own chosen solutions related to energy and justice. The Field Coordinator will help activate and expand grassroots support for energy democracy in Virginia to create a long-lasting and sustainable network.
Successful applicants will have a desire to begin or continue developing their social-impact career by bringing people together with purpose. They will maintain commitments to both clean energy and environmental justice. They will use equitable and inclusive practices in their work to promote truly democratic decision-making at the grassroots level.
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement a range of grassroots advocacy activities that meet the diverse needs and interests of residents across Virginia and build broad and visible support for Appalachian Voices’ energy democracy campaign
- Build relationships with community members and key partners
- Promote civic engagement on legislation that advances the goals of energy democracy
- Organize, participate in, and facilitate coalition/partner group meetings and calls
- Work with the communications team to utilize traditional media, social media, and other electronic communications to broadcast a unified message about energy democracy
- Collaborate with other Appalachian Voices Field Coordinators to support complementary programs in North Carolina and Tennessee
- Track progress and engage in planning, reporting, and evaluation of the program
- Recruit and manage a team of interns and volunteers
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A desire to engage the grassroots community on clean energy and social/economic/environmental justice issues
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Aptitude for executing impactful digital and social media strategies around core issues
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Experience in — or aptitude for — public speaking
- Event planning skills which include outreach and follow-up, volunteer recruitment, planning, media outreach, event promotion, and logistics coordination
- Demonstrated experience in — or aptitude for — facilitation of group meetings and calls
- Ability to set priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines and both short- and long-term goals in a fast-paced environment
- Extensive computer skills, including competency in the Google Suite, MS Office Suite, internet, and social media
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Flexibility to work evening and weekends when needed
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel, including some overnight travel
Because we are interested in receiving applications from candidates with a range of experience levels and salary requirements, salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s experience. Expected hiring range is $32,000 – 40,000 annually. This is a permanent, full-time position.
Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include: employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; generous paid vacation and parental leave; options for flexible working hours; an employer-matched retirement plan.
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. Interviews may start in late March/early April. Anticipated employment date is no later than June 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and a cover letter (no longer than one page) that highlights your skills and experience transferable to this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Virginia Energy Democracy Field Coordinator” in the subject line. Recommendation letters will also be gladly accepted, but are not required. Questions about the position and the program are welcomed via email at email@example.com.