This job is no longer active.
|Application Deadline||December 31, 2019|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that brings people together to protect the land, air, and water of Central and Southern Appalachia and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 30 staff members located in offices in Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Boone, N.C., and Knoxville, Tenn.
Appalachian Voices is seeking a Virginia Field Coordinator to build statewide grassroots power and engagement in the growing energy democracy movement. This is a movement to empower communities with the tools necessary to decide their own energy future and work towards a cleaner, more affordable, and more just energy system.
Working under the supervision of the Virginia Program Manager in our Charlottesville, Va. office, the Field Coordinator’s goal will be to increase public awareness of energy issues affecting the lives of Virginians and help communities advocate for their own chosen solutions related to energy and justice. The Field Coordinator will help activate and expand grassroots support for energy democracy in Virginia to create a long-lasting and sustainable network.
Successful applicants will have a desire to begin or continue developing their social-impact career by bringing people together with purpose. They will maintain commitments to both clean energy and environmental justice. They will use equitable and inclusive practices in their work to promote truly democratic decision-making at the grassroots level.
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
- Develop and implement a range of grassroots advocacy activities that meet the diverse needs and interests of residents across Virginia to build broad and visible support for Appalachian Voices’ energy democracy campaign
- Plan and execute events designed to educate communities on energy issues and policies impacting Virginia
- Promote civic engagement on legislation, regulations, and permit applications in order to advance the goals of energy democracy
- Build relationships with community members and key partners through formal and informal coalitions
- Organize, participate in, and facilitate meetings and calls
- Work with the communications team to utilize traditional media, social media, and other electronic communications to broadcast a unified message about energy democracy
- Collaborate with other Appalachian Voices Field Coordinators to support complementary programs in North Carolina and Tennessee
- Track progress and engage in planning, reporting, and evaluation of the program
- Recruit and manage a team of interns and volunteers
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and understanding of community organizing approach to social change
- Strong interest in and ability to work with diverse groups on clean energy and social, economic, and environmental justice issues
- Experience in—or aptitude for—public speaking
- Excellent writing, communication, and listening skills
- Event planning skills, including outreach and follow-up, volunteer recruitment, media outreach, event promotion, and logistics coordination
- Ability to effectively facilitate group meetings and calls
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to set priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines for both short- and long-term goals in a fast-paced environment
- Extensive computer skills, including competency in the Google Suite, MS Office Suite, internet, and social media
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Flexibility to work evening and weekends when needed
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel, including some overnight travel
DESIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Prior experience with grassroots organizing and/or experience with legislative or political campaigns
- Knowledge of clean energy technologies, energy markets, and electric utility regulation
- Prior experience working in coalitions
- Aptitude for executing impactful digital and social media strategies around core issues
Because we are interested in receiving applications from candidates with a range of experience levels and salary requirements, salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s experience. Expected hiring range is $32,000 – 40,000 annually. This is a permanent, full-time position.
Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include: employer-paid health care, vision, and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; generous paid vacation and parental leave; options for flexible working hours; an employer-matched retirement plan.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and a cover letter (no longer than one page) that highlights your skills and experience transferable to this position to email@example.com with “Virginia Energy Democracy Field Coordinator” in the subject line. Recommendation letters will also be gladly accepted, but are not required. Questions about the position and the program are welcomed via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.