|Organization||Loaves & Fishes Food Pantry, Inc.|
|Application Deadline||April 30, 2019|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Loaves & Fishes gives free groceries to nearly 5,000 low-income people from Charlottesville and surrounding communities each month with the help of an average of 368 volunteers/month. In order to provide an optimal experience for volunteers working at the pantry, Loaves & Fishes is adding a part-time supervisory position whose primary responsibilities are to orient/train and supervise all volunteers working for the pantry (both on-site and off).
The Supervisor of Volunteer Resources will:
- Prepare daily volunteer list and blank name badges.
- Ensure that all volunteers are adequately trained to fulfill the role(s) for which they sign up (USDA civil rights requirements/complaint process, mission and brief history of Loaves and Fishes, client choice distribution approach, client intake procedures, etc.). This may require either developing orientation and training materials, videos, etc. to facilitate the process, and/or providing brief training for volunteers prior to a shift.
- Enforce safety, storage, and distribution rules and procedures for all food items: USDA products, donated products, freezer and cooler items.
- Oversee the following weekly volunteer shifts/activities at the pantry:
|Shift||# of Volunteers||Description|
|Food Sorting||6||Volunteers sort and bag fruit, vegetables, and baked goods donated by local stores.|
|Food Delivery||3-15 (varies based on # of deliveries)||Volunteers pick up bagged food at the pantry to be delivered to home-bound clients.|
|Restocking||6||Volunteers restock dry goods, produce, and frozen items in preparation for distributions.|
|Pantry Distributions||28||Volunteers help clients select their household food, distribute and restock fresh, frozen, and nonperishable food; and help clients load groceries into their cars.|
- Implement Operations Manager/Warehouse Assistant’s guidelines for restocking and distributing food (this may change daily).
- As needed, assists Volunteer Coordinator in ensuring sufficient volunteers for each shift.
- Provide feedback and encouragement to volunteers on their efforts at the pantry (including managing concerns about volunteers’ performance).
- Verify hours and ensure that volunteers present completed community service paperwork for staff signature.
- Survey volunteers annually on program and identify areas for volunteer training improvement, if needed.
- Work with staff to recognize volunteers for their invaluable role in Loaves & Fishes’ success.
- Other duties to ensure the pantry runs efficiently (i.e., helping where there are volunteer shortages), as needed.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings.
- Reliable, well-organized, strong work ethic
- Able to develop training materials and train and supervise volunteers
- Able to communicate effectively and work with diverse groups of people, such as staff, volunteers of all ages and backgrounds and varying levels of Pantry volunteer experience, and Loaves & Fishes’ clients. Requires a blend of pleasantness, firmness, empathy, diplomacy, and patience.
- Able to address and resolve volunteer performance issues (with other staff, as needed)
- Sensitive to confidentiality of volunteers and clients
- Requires weekly evening and weekend hours. Our current hours of food distribution are Tuesday and Thursday evenings, Wednesday afternoons and Saturday mornings.
o Tuesday and Thursday, 4:00-9:00 pm
o Wednesday 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
o Saturday 8:00 am – 1:00 pm. Hours may change in subsequent years.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) and able to learn and operate VolunteerHub volunteer management system and Link2Feed client registration database
This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position paying $15/hour, based on a 20-hour work week in 2019. There may be exceptional weeks where additional hours are needed; Executive Director will need to approve additional hours.
The Supervisor of Volunteer Resources reports to the Executive Director.
Loaves & Fishes will provide a laptop computer and opportunities to attend training and seminars on volunteer management.
To apply, please send cover letter or email and resume/CV to email@example.com by April 30, 2019.