This job is no longer active.
|Organization||Rivanna Conservation Alliance|
|Application Deadline||February 21, 2023|
|College Degree Required?||No|
The Rivanna Conservation Alliance (RCA) is hiring three part-time, seasonal environmental educators to support our spring watershed field trip program and other activities. In March and April 2023, RCA will expand our experiential watershed education field trips program to all six public middle schools in Albemarle County. Through ten half-day field trips, RCA staff and volunteers will engage nearly 1,000 sixth grade students in water quality investigation activities at stream locations near the schools or in County parks. Field trip programs involve three hours of content, including activities such as benthic macroinvertebrate sampling, chemical testing of water, investigation of stream habitat features, watershed-themed games, planning action projects that can be carried out in schools, and using a watershed model to explore runoff issues.
Ideal candidates include those interested in water quality issues and looking for a short-term opportunity to give back to their community by working with a diversity of students in an experiential, outdoor education program. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
- Three part-time, seasonal positions (contractual or employed)
- March through April 2023, with the possibility of some additional summer hours
- Five weeks of programs, totalling 65-70 hours
- $20 per hour, no benefits included
Rivanna Conservation Alliance (RCA) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization created to provide the community with a set of tools and programs specifically designed to help clean and protect the Rivanna River and its tributaries. Our Vision: We envision a healthy Rivanna River and watershed that benefits an engaged community. Our Mission: Working with the community to conserve the Rivanna River and its tributaries through water quality monitoring, restoration, education, and advocacy.
RCA’s three seasonal environmental educators will help carry out watershed field day experiences for Albemarle County 6th graders. The educators will work with RCA staff and volunteers to help set up the field trip activities, lead the students through the activities, and pack up supplies after the field trips. Training on the activities and educational content will be provided prior to the field trips.
- Strong communication skills
- Experience or strong interest in engaging with students
- Background knowledge of basic water quality issues or interest and ability to learn
- High level of comfort working in an outdoor setting in variable weather and terrain
- Energetic, reliable, and punctual
- Degree in science or education is preferred OR related professional or volunteer experience
- Able to pass a background check
- Must have access to own transportation
- Able to lift 30 pounds
All interested applicants can send a resume and one character reference to Lisa Wittenborn at firstname.lastname@example.org. A formal cover letter is not required, but please provide a brief description of why you think you would be a good fit for the position in the body of your email. Applications are being accepted now and positions will be filled on a rolling basis.