|Application Deadline||February 1, 2023|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls or walk-ins, please.
The Rescue Manager is responsible for the planning, coordination, communication, and execution of the entire transport process. This position involves the management and maintenance of the shelter’s animal population in order to make efficient and effective transport selection decisions. The Rescue Manager works closely with the adoptions, foster, behavior, and clinic teams providing backup as needed.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
• Maintain frequent communication with transfer partners and SPCA staff regarding all steps of the transport process which includes but is not limited to: selection of animals, obtaining timely and up-to-date medical and behavior records, travel logistics, tracking, prioritization, delays, and changes.
• Participate in all transport program operations, including the physical transport of animals and training of staff.
• Determine animal readiness by reviewing records, pictures, and other data in order to make sound decisions regarding acceptance of animals into the SPCA’s adoption program. • Maintain a detailed inventory and tracking system of animals selected for the transport program and their outcomes.
• Collaborate with each department to develop and implement new processes within the transport program to meet lifesaving needs and increase effectiveness and efficiency. • Train and instruct all SPCA transporters on managing animal specific behavior during transports, in addition to transportation and cleaning protocols.
• Ensure that all animal and agency data is entered into the shelter database in an accurate, objective, and clear manner. Contribute to daily end-of-day reporting.
• Maintain and establish new partner relationships throughout the country in order to increase lifesaving.
• Provide prompt, exceptional customer service delivery and clear communication via all platforms – in person, email, and phone.
• Foster a team environment by working cooperatively with all departments, staff and volunteers, and providing excellent customer service both internally and externally.
• Remain positive and mission-focused while under stress.
• Be attentive to others’ needs and willingly assist as required.
• Other tasks and duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements & Work Environment:
• Ability to lift and transport items weighing up to 65 pounds.
• Ability to handle animals effectively and humanely.
• Have a high level of manual dexterity.
• The ability to bend and squat.
• The ability to stand and sit for significant periods of time.
• Exposure to disinfectant solutions and zoonotic diseases.
• Subject to animal bites and scratches.
• Consistently exposed to animals and animal allergens under conditions with limited alternatives available.
• Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the needs of the organization. May require evening, holiday and weekend work hours.
Required Skills / Experience:
• Valid Virginia Driver’s License required.
• Must be comfortable safely driving all SPCA transport vans and Compassionate Care-A-Van, abiding by all traffic laws.
• Must be able to safely and compassionately handle and work with all cats and dogs, including those with medical or behavioral challenges.
• Must have the ability to actively problem solve and seek answers independently. • Must have strong organizational skills and the ability to coordinate a project with multiple and often changing components.
• Must be a team player and self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
• Must be highly motivated, with strong communication skills and a professional manner. • Must have the ability to get along well with a variety of people, as well as demonstrate ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and information.
• Must have a strong knowledge of animal caregiving with the ability to identify medical and behavioral characteristics of dogs and cats.
• Computer literate: MS Office, Shelterluv, Internet, Google docs and mail.