This job is no longer active.
|Application Deadline||May 31, 2019|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Appalachian Voices is a nonprofit advocacy organization that brings people together to protect the land, air, and water of Central and Southern Appalachia and advance a just transition to a generative and equitable clean energy economy. We have 29 staff members located in offices in Charlottesville, Va., Norton, Va., Boone, N.C., and Knoxville, Tenn.
Appalachian Voices is seeking a Field Coordinator to build statewide power and engagement in the growing energy democracy movement. This is a movement to empower communities with the tools necessary to decide their own energy future and work towards a cleaner, more affordable, and more just energy system.
Working under the supervision of the North Carolina Program Manager, the Field Coordinator’s goal will be to increase public awareness of energy issues affecting the lives of North Carolinians and help communities advocate for solutions related to energy democracy and justice. The Field Coordinator will activate community support and expand the grassroots network to create a long-lasting and sustainable environment for energy democracy in North Carolina. This position has the option to be located either in the Boone or Raleigh/Durham areas.
Successful applicants will possess a strong desire to develop their social-impact career by bringing people together with purpose. They will maintain commitments to both clean energy and environmental justice. They will use equitable and inclusive practices in their work to promote democratic decision-making at the grassroots level in North Carolina.
Appalachian Voices is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our work and in our organizational structure. We seek applicants who share and exhibit these principles. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We understand people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the primary roles and responsibilities below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
This is an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to contribute as part of a growing team of professionals dedicated to achieving meaningful progress on clean energy and environmental issues in North Carolina. Because we are interested in receiving applications from candidates with a range of experience levels and salary requirements, salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s experience. This is a permanent, full-time position.
While management and leadership experience is not required for this position, applicants that have those skills may be considered for more senior level field coordination responsibilities with a salary commensurate with those additional responsibilities.
Appalachian Voices offers competitive compensation and benefits that include: employer-paid health care, vision and dental policies with options to include family members at a reduced cost, plus short- and long-term disability plans; generous paid vacation and parental leave; options for flexible working hours; an employer-matched retirement plan;
Applications will be accepted until this position is filled. Interviews may start in April. Anticipated employment date is June 2019.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement a range of grassroots advocacy activities that meet the diverse needs and interests of residents across North Carolina and build broad and visible support for Appalachian Voices’ energy democracy campaign
- Build relationships with community members and key partners
- Promote civic engagement on legislation that advances the goals of energy democracy
- Organize, participate in and facilitate coalition/partner group meetings and calls
- Work with our communications team to utilize traditional media, social media and other electronic communications to broadcast a unified message about energy democracy.
- Collaborate with other Appalachian Voices Field Coordinators to support complementary programs in Virginia and Tennessee
- Track progress and engage in planning, reporting, and evaluation of the program
- Recruit and manage a team of interns and volunteers
- Potentially manage one or more staff positions, depending on applicant’s leadership experience and qualifications
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A desire to engage the grassroots community on clean energy, environmental and social justice issues
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Aptitude for executing impactful social media strategies
- Experience in public speaking, training, and facilitation of group meetings and calls
- Event planning skills which include outreach and follow-up, volunteer recruitment, planning, media outreach, event promotion, logistics coordination, etc.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to set priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines and both short- and long-term goals in a fast-paced environment
- Competency in the Google Suite, MS Office Suite and social media tools
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Available to work with a fluctuating schedule which may include some weekends and evenings
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and a cover letter (no longer than one page) that highlights your skills and experience transferable to this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “North Carolina Energy Democracy Field Coordinator” in the subject line. Recommendation letters will also be gladly accepted, but are not required. Questions about the position and the program are welcomed via email at email@example.com.