This job is no longer active.
|Organization||International Rescue Committee in Charlottesville (IRC)|
|Application Deadline||April 30, 2019|
|College Degree Required?||Yes|
|Salary Range||Commensurate with experience|
IRC Background: Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster. Through 26 regional offices in cities across the United States, the IRC helps refugees resettle and become self-sufficient. Our programs are designed to ensure refugees thrive in America–whether ensuring children are enrolled in school, adults become self-reliant through employment or starting businesses, or families receive acute medical care they need to recover from trauma or illness. The IRC helps those in need to rebuild their lives and regain control of their future in their new home community.
Job Overview: The New Roots Coordinator implements the IRC’s Micro Producer Program (MPP), oversees the Gardening Program and ensures that New Roots’ 5 managed land spaces are effectively stewarded.
Micro Producer Program Implementation:
- Implement MPP activities; design and deliver instructional workshops on farming and business skills; provide individualized technical assistance to program participants.
- Develop and coordinate crop plans with MPP participants and for New Roots Food Access programming.
- Seek out, evaluate and support marketing access for micro producers.
- Ensure that food safety protocols are followed by participants, staff and volunteers.
- Work with the colleague(s) to operate one or more neighborhood farm stands. Support the process of aggregating sales and work with Finance team to maintain accurate records.
- Implement evaluation and tracking systems for micro producer participants.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of IRC’s farm and community gardens including sustainable and organic agricultural practices. Work with staff, participants and volunteers to ensure sites are safe, productive and beautiful and operate according to New Roots values.
- Coordinate community outreach, recruitment and orientation for New Roots land-based programming with support from staff and volunteers.
- Contribute to search and assessment of new production locations.
- Update and maintain farm manual and land management systems.
- Ensure that IRC equipment and vehicles are maintained.
Coordination of Agricultural Education:
- Support the New Roots team to develop effective community-led educational activities for participants beyond the Micro Producer program. Work with the New Roots Garden Specialist to develop and deliver trainings and workshops; support other educational activities as needed.
- Manage one or more staff members in accordance with IRC’s People Manager Standards
- Represent the IRC with the Virginia Beginning Farmer and Rancher Coalition
- Attend occasional public events on behalf of the IRC
- Contribute to team strategy and decision making
- Provide input on existing grant reports, contribute ideas and information to new grant proposals, and assist in writing small proposals as requested.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Agronomy, Economics, Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Agricultural Business or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2+ years related work experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of sustainable and organic production and agriculture small business development.
- Experience with irrigation, farm equipment, and carpentry skills a plus.
- Experience in teaching, adult education, or ESL instruction a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, motivated, flexible and able to work independently.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle with current insurance.
Apply online only at https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=4349 or www.rescue.org/careers