This job is no longer active.
|Organization||International Rescue Committee in Charlottesville (IRC)|
|Application Deadline||April 15, 2020|
|College Degree Required?||Yes|
|Salary Range||$18.50-$20.00 per hour|
Job Overview: The New Roots Farm & Garden Specialist oversees IRC’s community gardens and New Roots Farm. The Specialist will work with gardeners, farmers, volunteers and community members to implement appropriate educational and support programming and to ensure that New Roots’ managed land spaces are effectively stewarded.
Farm Management & Farmer Training
- Oversee day-to-day operations of IRC’s farm and community gardens including bed building, planting, maintenance and harvesting.
- Manage the operation and maintenance of farm systems such as irrigation, mowing, and repairing equipment and physical assets. Ensure that IRC equipment and vehicles are properly maintained.
- Coordinate staff, program partners, participants and volunteers to ensure that sites are safe, productive, attractive, and operate according to New Roots values.
- Plan and implement workdays for volunteers. Lead volunteers in maintaining common areas at the farm including minor infrastructure repairs, implementing weed control and beautification projects.
- Provide technical assistance to micro producer farmers as needed including assistance with developing and coordinating crop plans and advising on potential markets for produce.
- Design and deliver instructional workshops on farming skills, facilitate regular meetings, and provide technical assistance for gardeners at each site.
- Supervise one or more interns to support outreach to clients, the development and delivery of workshops, and upkeep of program sites.
- Ensure that food safety protocols are followed by participants, staff and volunteers.
- Support development and implementation of food secure resettlement resources in coordination with community partners and IRC staff.
- Provide input on existing grant reports, contribute ideas and information to new grant proposals, and assist in writing small proposals as requested.
- Implement evaluation and tracking systems for program participants.
- Attend occasional public events on behalf of the IRC.
- Contribute to team strategy and decision making.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Agronomy, Economics, Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Agricultural Business or related field; or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2+ years of related work experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of sustainable and organic production and agriculture small business development.
- Experience with irrigation, farm equipment, and carpentry skills a plus.
- Experience in teaching, adult education, or ESL instruction a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, motivated, flexible and able to work independently.
- Demonstrated success working and communicating effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Valid driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle with active insurance policy.
Please apply online only at www.rescue.org/careers or directly at https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&id=8646