|Organization||Rockfish Valley Foundation|
|Application Deadline||December 4, 2017|
|College Degree Required?||Yes|
|Salary Range||Applicants should state interest in part time position and provide compensaton expectations.|
The Rockfish Valley Foundation has a Professional Services Contract Position opening for an individual ( the “Contractor”) to provide professional level Managing Director services. Initially, the opening is expected to require limited time and offers the opportunity for possible expansion of the services to an equivalent full time position. The Rockfish Valley Foundation (RVF) is a non-profit organization committed to environmental preservation and literacy. Since 2005 RVF has worked to protect the environmental treasures of the Rockfish Valley in Nelson County, Virginia, and to build a volunteer community that shares this vision. RVF provides the community with hiking and birding trails, a public park, Children’s Nature Trail, a Natural History Center affiliated with the Virginia Museum of Natural History, sponsorship of the South Rockfish Valley Rural Historic District, several designated “Virginia Natural Treasures” sites, buildings on the National Historic Register and a selection of educational programs for Nelson County Schools and the general public. The Contractor providing the Managing Director services will be responsible for overseeing the various RVF facilities, functions and all educational programs conducted by RVF for schools and the public including Naturally Nelson in April, the annual Kite Festival in May, and all other public outreach events. The Contractor will be responsible for the Natural History Center, open weekends and trail and park facilities. The Contractor will coordinate with and oversee the various volunteer committee’s and administrative and maintenance functions. The Contractor will report to the RVF Executive Committee and Board of Trustees. The RVF office is currently located at 1368 Rockfish Valley Highway in Nellysford, VA.
The Contractor will be expected to attend various committee meetings, Executive Committee meetings and public meetings and oversee the operation of the Natural History Center which is open on weekends. The Contractor is expected to be available some weekend and evening hours. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills and experience with fundraising. The candidate must be experienced with word processing, spreadsheet and database programs as well as with social media. The candidate must also have some experience with basic bookkeeping and accounting. Experience with formal environmental and museum administration is preferred.
Fundraising and Administrative Responsibilities (30%)
As a member of the management team of RVF, the Contractor will work closely with the Board of Trustees, volunteers and community members to advance the mission of RVF.
- Writes articles about RVF programs for internal and external newsletters as well as our weekly email blast.
- Keeps the RVF website and Facebook page current.
- Provides program updates to the RVF Board of Directors as needed.
- Oversees the “crowdfunding” appeal for RVF social media, and any other benefit fundraisers.
- Attends Board meetings, keeps minutes and shares these with members.
- Serves on fundraising team for the RVF.
- Ensures that all bills are paid on time and coded correctly for the bookkeeper and shared with board members and other committees as needed.
- Coordinates recognition of volunteers and financial supporters.
- Provides other professional services and completes other tasks as needed.
Managing Rockfish Valley Natural History Center, Spruce Creek Park and the Rockfish Valley Trail System: (30% of Time)
The Contractor is the key contact person for the RVF Natural History Center (RVFNHC) and is responsible for the overall mission of the NHC and its day-to-day operations.
Coordinates Docents & Docent Training
- Recruits and manages volunteers for RVFNHC keeping in mind the need for a diverse volunteer force (age, gender, and racial diversity).
- Encourages and values leadership and participation by youth; makes all volunteers feel welcome.
- Maintains volunteer database: email directories, names and addresses updated regularly.
- Coordinates volunteer training.
- Serves as docent when volunteers are not available.
Coordinates Field Trips and RVNHC Programming
- Serves as liaison with the schools and teachers, recruiting and scheduling schools.
- Develops SOL based field trips.
- Develops and implements programs for preschool and homeschool groups.
Coordinates Upkeep of Spruce Creek Park & Trails System
Promoting and Supporting the Nelson County School Environmental Literacy Collaboration (25%)
Organizes and Plan Programming for Nelson County Schools
- The Contractor will Chair the RVF Program Committee and directs their work and that of the subcommittee, takes notes and keeps members informed.
- Collaborates with the Ecology Club Sponsor on the Environmental Leadership Academy
- Works with Nelson County Schools to coordinate field trips and other school-based environmental education activities for the schools.
- Implements timeline/overall work plan, accomplishing specific tasks by month.
- Recruits and oversees volunteers and mentors.
Organizing and Planning Community Events (15%)
- Organizes and chairs event planning committees such as the Kite Festival.
- Organizes field trips, hiking trips, trail workdays, lectures, and other community events that are within the RVF mission.
- Recruits committee members.
- Ensures adequate volunteer participation at events.
- Oversees publicity for events.
Interested Parties are encouraged to visit our web site at www.rockfishvalley.org.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants may submit resumes and references by mail or email to:
Rockfish Valley Foundation
Attn: RVF Staffing
P.O. Box 235
Nellysford, VA 22958
Applications must be received by Monday, December 4, 2017.
The position is subject to sufficient funding being available to the Foundation