This job is no longer active.
|Organization||Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville|
|Application Deadline||July 31, 2023|
|College Degree Required?||No|
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Charlottesville is a non‐profit organization that brings people
together to build and rebuild homes and communities, so that everyone in Charlottesville can
have a decent place to live. We are deeply committed to working in respectful partnership with
community members to support healthy neighborhoods.
Habitat is currently redeveloping the Southwood Mobile Home Park, a 120-acre, 1,300 resident community located in Albemarle County. We are working side by side with residents to plan for a mixed-use, mixed-income community of more than 1,000 new homes and businesses. When complete, Southwood will be a national model of compassionate and inclusive resident-led redevelopment. At Southwood and elsewhere, Habitat rebuilds communities via a long-term Asset Based Community Development approach, using the skills and talents of community members themselves to help them achieve their own vision.
The Habitat Store partners with the community to accept and sell donations as well as purchased inventory including building supplies, furniture and home decor at discounted prices. Proceeds from the store support affordable housing creation by contributing 8-10% of the organization’s annual revenue.
Position Background and Vision:
The Store Manager is part of The Habitat Store team and is responsible for overseeing retail operations and ensuring excellent customer service and experience. The Store Manager effectively leads the store retail staff and store volunteer program to ensure all retail operations run smoothly, are sustainable and strive to provide an excellent shopping experience. The Store Manager is also responsible for creatively identifying opportunities for store staff to stay regularly connected to the broader affiliate and Habitat’s mission and effectively communicate the mission to the broader community.
Scope of Responsibilities
Staff and Customer Management
- Directly supervise the full-time Store Customer Service Associate and up to four full-time or part-time Retail Associates
- Complete store operational requirements by scheduling and assigning employees
- Manage store staff by hiring, orienting, and training employees
- Promote optimal staff performance by coaching, mentoring and counseling employees
- Identify current and future customer requirements by establishing rapport with potential and actual customers to understand service requirements
- Oversee customer service training for staff
- Ensure a positive experience for volunteers in partnership with the Affiliate Volunteer Coordinator
- Oversee evaluation, pricing and displaying of new and donated merchandise
- Formulate pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities, determining additional needed sales promotion, and authorizing clearance sales
- Oversee store supplies to ensure adequate levels are on-hand
- Display merchandise by studying advertising, sales promotion, and display plans
- Evaluate and adapt store systems including checklists, store layout, guidelines etc.
- Evaluate sales per square foot bi-yearly and adapt store layout as necessary
- Oversee purchased product inventory, ordering, and product evaluation
- Ensure interior and exterior of store is clean and well organized
- Protect employees and customers by providing a safe and clean store environment
- Maintain the stability and reputation of the store by complying with legal requirements
- Other items as delegated by the Store Operations Manager
Store Volunteer Program
Habitat for Humanity has a full time Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (VEC)that supports the Habitat Store volunteer recruitment, communication, onboarding and training. The Store Manager will work closely with the VEC to ensure the volunteer program at the store is operating smoothly and sustainably. The Store Manager is responsible for the instore day-to-day planning, scheduling and assigning of volunteers. This includes:
- Identifying areas of need and/or focus for volunteers and special projects throughout the store
- Building the daily volunteer schedule assigning volunteers to an area and/or staff member
- Ensuring store staff members are utilizing and leveraging volunteer support in a way that supports store operations
- Minimum 5 years experience in retail management and/or non-profit management
- Strong knowledge of sales, marketing, merchandising and customer service
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise and direct staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, plan, organize, and implement multiple projects and meet deadlines with high quality work
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Command knowledge of Retail POS systems and Google Workspace
- High level of strategic thinking
- Commitment to Habitat for Humanity’s mission of service to others and The Habitat Store’s environmental initiative
- Ability to lift or move 75-100 lbs consistently and be on feet for long periods of time, sometimes in extreme temperatures