|Organization||Virginia Discovery Museum|
|Application Deadline||May 13, 2019|
|College Degree Required?||Yes|
The Virginia Discovery Museum External Education Manager (EEM) oversees all aspects of externally facing programming at the museum. The EEM works to ensure that VDM’s mission is represented in its programs, events and exhibits.
This full-time hire works 40 hours a week, M-F 9-5 pm. Occasional weekend hours may be required to attend community events or to support the museum. The ideal candidate must be outgoing and enthusiastic, and enjoy working with children and families.
Programs and Education
- Manages VDM’s Discovery Workshop programs
- Manages VDM’s Maker Series program
- Oversees and coordinates VDM’s relationships with external program providers
- Manages the museum’s summer camp programs offered in conjunction with best-in-class external providers, working with VDM’s Internal Education Manager
- Plans and manages KidVention, VDM’s community science festival, now in its 19th year
- Works with exhibits staff to develop educational, interactive exhibits
- Writes information regarding education for the website and for other publications
- Coordinates VDM’s Meet Me on Main Street program
- Promotes VDM’s special programs on radio, television and social media
- Assists in gallery opening, closing, and maintenance
- Assists with grant writing as it pertains to programs and educational goals
- Helps with front desk staffing as needed
Candidates must have a strong educational background (education degree preferred) and at least 2-3 years experience working in education, either in a classroom setting or in program management. A successful candidate will have strong written and oral communication skills and the ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
To apply, please email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Director of Operations, Virginia Discovery Museum, P.O. Box 1128 Charlottesville, VA 22902. EOE.
About the Virginia Discovery Museum
Founded in 1981, the Virginia Discovery Museum provides educational and enrichment opportunities in literacy, science, math, and the arts to the children of the Charlottesville-Albemarle area. It is the mission of the museum to foster intellectual curiosity and development for all children in the community. VDM works to prepare children for elementary school by offering engaging, developmentally appropriate exhibits, programs, and events. In 2018, the museum welcomed nearly 70,000 visitors. VDM is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization.