This job is no longer active.
|Organization||University of Virginia Advancement|
|Application Deadline||August 3, 2020|
|College Degree Required?||Yes|
|Salary Range||Not Posted|
The next decade will provide unparalleled professional opportunity for the Executive Director of Development for the School of Engineering at the University of Virginia, which is engaged in an ambitious $5 billion campaign. The Executive Director of Development will play a key role as the dynamic leader of UVA Engineering’s Office of Advancement and chief development officer for the School. UVA Engineering has a 27,000-strong alumni base, representing more than 11% of UVA’s base, with capacity that has not been fully developed. A skilled advancement professional will have a unique opportunity to make an impact.
UVA Engineering’s mission is to make the world a better place by creating and disseminating knowledge and by preparing engineering leaders to solve global challenges. Our vision is to be a leader among engineering schools in seizing opportunities to benefit humanity through bold research and world-class education. We achieve our mission by adhering to five core values: passion for societal impact; educating engineering leaders; determination to innovate; commitment to excellence through diversity; dedication to collegiality and collaboration.
UVA Engineering offers 10 undergraduate degree programs and nine graduate degree programs, in addition to online master’s degree programs. The school has approximately 2900 undergraduates and 1100 graduate students, with the largest PhD enrollment growth in the nation since 2015. The school has eight departments: Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Engineering Systems and Environment, Engineering and Society, Materials Science and Engineering, and Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
UVA Engineering is the No.1 public engineering school in the United States in terms of the percentage of women earning undergraduate engineering degrees – 33% compared to a national average of 21%. UVA Engineering is also the top engineering school in the country for its four-year graduation rate of undergraduates, including those from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in engineering such as Hispanic and African-American students. Nationally, 33% of engineering undergraduates graduate on time; at UVA Engineering, 84% earn their engineering degrees within four years.
UVA Engineering is home to 180,000 square feet of research laboratories, supporting 182 individual programs, centers and consortia. Our faculty are focused on a multidisciplinary approach to research and education in areas of significant societal need – the nexus of engineering and medicine, computing and cyber-physical systems, and technologies for a sustainable and connected world. Through this strategy, UVA Engineering has grown substantially in size and impact, with a 75% increase in sponsored research funding and a 30% increase in faculty over the past few years.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
The Executive Director of Development will be a highly motivated development professional tasked with creatively, strategically, and effectively leading the overall prospect management and solicitation activities for UVA Engineering.
The Executive Director will have the following responsibilities:
• Create a culture and environment in Advancement focused on achieving high performance.
• Collaborate closely with UVA Engineering and UVA leadership to develop long-range fundraising plans, goals and objectives; communicate and achieve the goals and objectives with advancement staff.
• Lead operations, improvement efforts, project management, problem solving, financial affairs, as well as supervise staff and HR matters, and ensure compliance with relevant policies, regulations, and legal requirements in areas associated with Advancement.
• Develop and periodically revise UVA Engineering’s advancement plan.
• Work closely with the Dean, UVA Engineering faculty, the University of Virginia Engineering Foundation (UVEF), and other volunteers on fundraising activities.
• Work closely with UVA Engineering’s Executive Director of Communications to effectively engage alumni through marketing and communications.
• Secure major gifts for UVA Engineering by identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major prospective and current donors through personal visits, correspondence, events, and other involvement.
• Oversee a sophisticated, comprehensive annual fund program.
• Represent UVA Engineering as chief development officer to the UVA Advancement Community.
• Manage relationships with the University of Virginia Engineering Foundation (UVEF), an independent not-for-profit foundation with Board of Trustees, many of whom are Engineering alumni.
• Develop and strengthen relationships with corporations, government agencies, and foundations.
• Prepare written proposals to federal agencies, foundations, corporations, and individuals for funding in support of UVA Engineering’s priorities.
The ideal candidate will possess the following demonstrated abilities and attributes:
• Ability to engage donors in the Dean’s vision for the school.
• Ability to articulate a vision of a successful and comprehensive development program.
• Ability to conceive, enhance, and lead fundraising programs for new sources of philanthropy.
• Track record of cultivating relationships along with soliciting, closing, and stewarding major gifts.
• Experience and ability to build, lead, and manage an organization including general business management and effective recruitment, motivation, and staff development.
• Ability to project an executive presence and to positively represent the school to alumni, donors, students, faculty, peers, staff, and other key stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit, hire, and retain excellent employees.
• Proven track record of building, leading, motivating, and assessing diverse teams, including experienced and junior professionals, within a matrix organization.
• Possess and project high energy and integrity with a demonstrated record of success.
• Ability to develop relationships with leaders in a broad range of business and professional fields.
• Minimum of five years development and/or advancement experience in a University or nonprofit.
• A bachelor’s degree is required, and an advanced degree is preferred.
Capital Campaign for UVA Engineering
The capital campaign for UVA Engineering has three focus areas: (i) solving society’s grand challenges and nurturing quality of life through innovation in science and technology, (ii) creating the new paradigm for engineering education that harnesses technology and leverages experiential education, and (iii) developing a diverse engineering community and workforce to serve the nation. UVA Engineering has an ambitious goal to raise $250M in the campaign to support these focus areas. Approximately $150M has been raised to date. The Executive Director of Development will have broad opportunity to shape messaging associated with the campaign. The Executive Director of Development will be responsible for developing strategy for the campaign.