This job is no longer active.
|Organization||Blue Ridge Area Food Bank (BRAFB)|
|Application Deadline||February 28, 2023|
|College Degree Required?||No|
|Salary Range||$97,000-$120,000; commensurate with experience|
The Blue Ridge Area Food Bank (BRAFB) is opening a search for a Chief Operating Officer to lead and oversee its food acquisition, storage, and warehouse distribution operations in support of our mission to provide nourishing food to our neighbors in need.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for advancing the mission of the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank through strategic short and long-term planning and oversight of food sourcing, storage, and distribution activities across the Food Bank’s service area. They lead the planning and implementation of food sourcing across multiple channels (government, food, and farming industry donations, and purchasing); warehousing and distribution across four distribution centers and more than 200 partner and program sites; development and implementation of all standard operating policies and procedures, including those concerning food safety, workplace safety and transportation; and the management of the organization’s fleet, facilities, and warehouse equipment.
The COO works with the CEO and management team in organizational planning and performance evaluation and supervises the work of the main Warehouse Operations Manager, three remote branch operations managers, and a Food Sourcing Manager.
The key responsibilities of the Chief Operating Officer include:
Planning and Strategy
- Contributes to the development of multiyear, organizational strategic plans;
- Drives change in operations in alignment with organizational strategy as well as industry and market research
- Leads the development of annual work plans and budgets for the Operations Department, including food sourcing, distribution, warehousing, and logistics, based on the organization’s strategic plan and with an emphasis on cross-departmental collaboration, especially with Partner Engagement and Programs;
- Applies analysis of operating data to the continuous improvement of operating strategies, systems, and procedures in alignment with the organization’s strategic priorities
- Contributes to the development and implementation of a system for departmental and organizational performance evaluation against strategic goals and priorities.
Food Sourcing, Warehousing, and Distribution
- Develops, updates, and ensures fidelity to standard operating procedures (SOPs) across all departmental functions;
- Oversees the development, implementation, and adaptation of annual food sourcing plans consistent with the organization’s strategic goals and a dynamic sourcing environment;
- Ensures that food sourcing is fulfilled in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders and in accordance with BRAFB’s nutrition policy as well as applicable regulations, requirements, and guidelines set forth by state and federal agencies and Feeding America;
- Ensures accurate and effective utilization of the Food Bank’s inventory management system by all staff members in the department;
- Maintains a high standard of customer service for internal and external stakeholders, including and especially food distribution and program partners, in all areas of food sourcing, and distribution;
- Identifies and realizes efficiencies in warehouse operations and transportation, balancing efficiency with volunteer and community engagement as necessary to support and achieve broader organizational goals;
- Ensures compliance with all federal and state transportation regulations;
- Oversees the maintenance of the Food Bank’s fleet (e.g., trucks, tractors, trailers, passenger vehicles) and warehouse equipment (e.g., forklifts, pallet jacks, scales) in accordance with manufacturer recommendations and best practices and federal and state regulations.
Workplace and Food Safety
- Ensures that each distribution center operates in safe conditions and is in compliance with OSHA and all other safety regulations;
- Ensures that all staff members are regularly trained in all aspects of workplace safety;
- Develops, updates, and ensures fidelity to food safety policies and procedures in accordance with food safety standards set forth by the American Institute of Baking (AIB), Feeding America, and the USDA;
- Prepare for and pass the annual AIB food safety audit in all four warehouses.
Leadership, Management, and Culture
- Works with direct reports to establish annual, and individual performance goals and complete annual performance evaluations in accordance with BRAFB policies and practices;
- Fosters diversity and inclusive management practices within Operations and across the organization through staff recruitment, coaching, training, and internal communications;
- Provides direction and coaching to direct reports in performance management and professional development of departmental staff;
- Ensures robust levels of inclusive, multi-directional communication within the department and with staff in other departments;
- Participates in the leadership of the organization through the Management Team with a commitment to collaboration, mutual support, respect, transparency, and healthy conflict;
- Encourages department-wide participation in annual employee engagement surveys and leads efforts to improve engagement where and when possible.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Operations Management, or equivalent and relevant skills and experience in warehouse/distribution operations, inventory, and facility management
- Extensive experience in operations of warehouse/distribution facilities and logistics, and extensive experience in and commitment to inclusive leadership of a diverse workforce;
- Previous experience in managing operations for an organization with a multi-million-dollar budget, including strategic planning and business development experience
- Successful leadership and management of warehouse/distribution management, fleet and logistics, and procurement;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in data-driven, long, and short-term planning
- Ability to analyze, interpret and operationalize compliance with complex regulations;
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders;
- Demonstrated, superior time management, decision-making, and effective short-term and long-term planning skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present effectively to colleagues, the Board of Directors, and external stakeholders;
- Computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets, and data management programs;
- Ability to analyze data, problem solve, develop solutions, and draft reports.
The person in this position is expected to be on-call for emergencies involving the Food Bank’s fleet, facilities, or operations; to work occasionally in the evenings and on weekends for various internal, professional development, and public events; to represent the Food Bank in media interviews as appropriate; and to travel frequently to branch facilities and occasionally to meetings and conferences outside of Virginia. A Virginia driver’s license with a good driving record is required.
This position is full-time, based in Verona, and offers a dynamic and healthy work culture, competitive salary, and excellent benefits package. For more information about the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, visit our website at www.brafb.org
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank, to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to BRAFB, Human Resources Office, P.O. Box 937, Verona, 24482.
The Food Bank is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person’s perspective and lived experiences. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information. We seek applicants from all backgrounds to ensure we get the best talent on our team.