This job is no longer active.
|Organization||University of Virginia Alumni Association|
|Application Deadline||June 1, 2022|
|College Degree Required?||Yes|
The Business Intelligence Developer for the University of Virginia Alumni Association provides analysis, design, development, testing, and implementation of data solutions and analytics to support the needs of Alumni Association clients, leadership, Board of Managers, staff, and other external stakeholders, and to further the Association’s mission, vision, and strategic goals.
This position uses knowledge of strategic and business goals, complex data structures, and business processes, along with qualitative and quantitative data, to develop insights and define needs and to identify potential solutions to meet the needs and business goals. The role requires the ability to understand database structures, data models and uses, data visualization concepts and techniques, enterprise and special-purpose applications, business processes, enterprise software architecture, and our technology roadmap to choose the appropriate means to satisfy requirements.
Solution identification may include researching and evaluating off-the-shelf applications and leading a project team to select a solution. Solution development and implementation activities may include SQL query development and other database programming, report and data visualization development, low-code development, and integration with other applications and databases. Knowledge of data management best practices and software development methodologies, as well as strong relationship management, project management, and change management skills, are required to ensure successful execution and implementation. Execution of duties requires integrity, independence, initiative, creativity, innovativeness, judgment, attention to detail, and reliability.
The University of Virginia Alumni Association is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to attract and retain a diverse workforce and encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Business Intelligence, Data Visualization, and Insight Development
- Develops interactive data visualizations drawing from multiple data sources to help generate insights and to support monitoring and managing operations.
- Develops and executes quantitative and qualitative studies to gather data needed to support business planning and decision-making.
- Uses quantitative and qualitative data to develop insights into needs of external stakeholders and Association staff. Formulates and executes experiments to test assumptions about needs and potential solutions.
Data Solution Design and Development
- Identifies data-oriented solution options to meet identified needs and deliver on the strategic and operational goals of the Association. Partners with internal stakeholders and works in cross-functional teams to facilitate evaluation and selection of the option(s) to implement.
- Designs, tests, documents, and implements selected solutions and enhancements. Uses SQL query development and other database programming, report and data visualization development, low-code development, and integration with other applications and databases to create and maintain complex views, reports, data visualizations, and other solutions for Association staff and stakeholders.
- Ensures solutions and integrations meet service level standards, meet user experience standards, meet accessibility standards, comply with data security and privacy policies and best practices, and comply with other applicable Association policies, standards, and guidelines.
Training, Support, and Internal Consulting
- Enables staff and stakeholders to use data in decision-making, planning, program/product evaluation and monitoring, and operations management. Helps staff and stakeholders understand and use available data and data segmentation. Trains users on the meaning and use of reports and data visualizations. Provides expertise on enterprise database applications.
- Investigates and resolves data discrepancies in reporting; improves processes to improve data and reporting consistency. Develops, tests, and implements fixes for bugs in supported reports, visualization, and data-oriented applications. Meets service level agreements for bug fix response times.
- Develops user training materials and reviews and supports training programs for users of supported application and software systems.
Business Process Improvement and Project/Change Management
- Supports continuous improvement by analyzing existing processes to find opportunities for improvement and automation, recommending changes to business processes and/or technology solutions, and implementing approved changes in supported (or new) applications and systems.
- Leads project teams to successful completion. Uses change management process and frameworks to guide work with all levels of the organization to introduce and implement changes in business processes and application practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned and as strategic and business priorities change.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in related field.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in SQL programming and/or database application development.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience building and maintaining data visualizations. Experience with Tableau highly desirable.
- Experience building and maintaining database reports.
- Strong working knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices.
- Experience in developing integrations using APIs and/or other methods. Experience integrating with Salesforce desirable.
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office.
Additional Essential Skills:
- Service mindset and excellent customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills appropriate for a professional environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate technical information to colleagues with varying technical knowledge and proficiency
- Interpersonal skills to work with colleagues at all levels of the organization
- Prioritization of tasks and activities (according to organizational priority) to meet key deadlines and goals
- Self-motivation and personal accountability
- Relationship management
- Strong presentation skills
- Project coordination skills
- Ability to analyze and solve problems creatively
- Ability to perform tasks successfully, even under fast-paced, changing, and occasionally stressful situations
- Project management skills
- Business process improvement skills
- Change management skills
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills, including the ability to manipulate, analyze and interpret data
- Customer experience design skills
- This position does not supervise any employees.
- Alumni, students, and external stakeholders
- U.Va. Alumni Association senior staff
- U.Va. Alumni Association employees
- University of Virginia departments
- University of Virginia related foundations and affiliated organizations
- Service providers, contractors, and vendors
Occasional lifting of computer-related equipment (approximately 40 pounds or less) is required.