This job is no longer active.
|Organization||Rare Book School|
|Application Deadline||April 14, 2023|
|College Degree Required?||No|
|Salary Range||$30–33,000 annual salary for 30 hours/week|
Rare Book School (RBS), a 501(c)(3) non-profit University-affiliated organization, currently seeks a Bookkeeper to work as a member of the full-time staff in our small but fast-paced office at the University of Virginia (UVA). As a member of RBS’s finance team, he or she will assume core data entry and bookkeeping duties as well as general office management, including general reception. The ideal candidate must have integrity, strong attention to detail, patience, perseverance, and a sense of humor; he or she must also be self-motivated and a good team player. Strong written and oral communication is important, and experience in a non-profit environment is preferred, but not required.
Core duties include:
Bookkeeping and Financial:
- Process, record, and monitor payments and reimbursements to vendors, instructors, and staff, and manage petty cash
- Process, record, and monitor receipts, including contributions, program revenue, and other earned income
- Process, record, monitor, and reconcile staff organizational credit card transactions
- Maintain correspondence with vendors, instructors, students, and staff regarding payments payable and/or receivable
- Reconcile recorded deposits and receipts against bank deposit notifications
- Maintain and update financial archives in accordance with organizational Records Retention Policy; and
- Maintain confidentiality regarding sensitive financial information
General Office and Administration:
- Welcome visitors to RBS on arrival, and provide information or directions
- Monitor incoming phone calls and emails from the public, and respond or redirect messages to appropriate RBS staff members
- Retrieve, sort, and distribute mail
- Keep office tidy and organized – ordering and organizing supplies, filing documentation, recycling, &c.; and
- Provide occasional assistance in coordinating deliveries and catering
- Experience using accounting software, such as Sage Intacct, Quickbooks, Oracle, &c.
- Two-to-five years’ experience working in bookkeeping and administrative role
- Excellent communication skills and judgment including ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Experience with general office desktop applications, including MS Office (e.g. Word, Excel, and Outlook); and
- Proficiency working in a Mac platform
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience using donor databases, such as Raisers Edge; Adobe Acrobat; and cloud-based web applications including DropBox and Adobe EchoSign
- Familiarity with nonprofit financial administration; and
- Affinity for the humanities/arts/culture
This is a 30-hour, non-exempt, benefited position. Starting salary ranges from $30-33,000. We recognize that applicants may come from a variety of professional backgrounds and may not yet possess some of the desired qualifications described above. We would be happy to talk with prospective applicants who are interested in the position, but who are unsure whether they have the required technical background. Benefits include health insurance (including dental and vision); long-term disability; 403b retirement plan, including employer’s matching contribution (after one year); paid training for work in required financial systems; and a flexible work environment. The Bookkeeper will need to work in person in the office.
To apply, applicants should send a cover letter addressing the topics below, a CV/resumé, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please address in your cover letter (1) your competency and experience in regard to each of the desired qualifications, (2) why you are interested in working for Rare Book School, and (3) when you would be available to begin the job.
Rare Book School (RBS) is committed to fostering an inclusive, respectful, and welcoming environment that embraces a richly diverse representation of human attributes, perspectives, and disciplines. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran’s status, or sexual orientation.