This job is no longer active.
|Organization||University of Virginia Alumni Association|
|Application Deadline||June 1, 2022|
|College Degree Required?||No|
The UVA Alumni Association, a 501c3 nonprofit foundation, is seeking an Associate Director, Marketing. This role will help build a sense of belonging among the University’s 250,000+ alumni, the Association, and UVA.
The Association’s Marketing team is responsible for brand-building, promotion of alumni and student programs, and support of fundraising goals – all done in a way that aligns with the Association’s values of integrity, inclusion, connection, innovation and service. The Alumni Association and its related programs produce marketing campaigns and communications for channels including email, web, social, print, and events (in-person and virtual), as well as branded merchandise.
The Associate Director, Marketing helps to set the strategy for the Alumni Association brand. This individual will oversee the development of engaging integrated marketing communications campaigns for the Association’s revenue-generation initiatives and leadership-level communications, and ensure that the Association is representing, serving and engaging alumni audiences with the communications it delivers. The Associate Director, Marketing reports to the Chief Marketing Officer.
The ideal Associate Director is an excellent brand steward, a strategic thinker, a problem-solver, an expert at marketing communications, a clear and concise speaker, and a team-builder. They will excel at giving and receiving feedback, keeping projects on time and on budget, and building trust throughout the Association. A commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is expected.
The Associate Director will partner closely with the Marketing team and key stakeholders including program leads, Association senior leadership, Board of Managers members and University partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees development of marketing strategies and integrated marketing communications plans that will help meet goals for the Association’s revenue generating initiatives, including development, membership, stewardship, business development and publications, as well as leadership-level communications. Creates audience segmentations/personas, journey maps and marketing plans to help guide messaging and creative development. Tracks and reports results and uses data to inform decision-making.
- Helps set and steward the strategic vision for the Association brand, including ownership of the Association’s assortment of branded merchandise and management of brand trademarks and legal agreements related to their use. Contributes to the development of brand positioning, strategic frameworks, brand goals and the tracking and reporting of progress against goals.
- Serves as marketing point of contact for the Association’s endorsed brands (Jefferson Trust, Ridley Scholarship Program).
- Works closely with Creative Director and creative team on creative concepts, content creation and production of marketing communications for channels including email, web, print, social and merchandise.
- Ensures that the Association is representing, serving and engaging alumni audiences through each communication. Seeks to understand alumni audiences and uses data and insights to inform strategy development. Is a voice for DE&I in how our brand and programs come to life.
- Builds strong relationships with internal clients. Presents and sells-in recommendations. Project-manages marketing needs for their clients, oversees reviews and approvals, and ensures satisfaction with end product.
- Uses and champions project management processes and software (Monday.com).
- Collaborates with Marketing team peers and Association teams. Partners with peers on the University of Virginia Brand team where needed.
- 5-7 years of experience as an associate director of marketing or marketing manager
- Brand management experience, including positioning, strategy, plan/campaign development, and trademarks
- Marketing communications experience, including the creation of integrated marketing communications strategies, plans and communications
- Hands-on digital marketing experience (email, web, social)
- Project management experience
- Experience working closely with a creative team
- Bachelor of Arts in marketing or related field
- Agency experience or comparable multi-client environment experience
- Nonprofit or higher ed experience
- Product development / merchandising experience
- Public relations experience
- Strong communicator – written, verbal, and visual
- Gifted strategist and storyteller who understands marketing and how to meet audience needs
- Excellent design eye and highly-developed taste level
- Team oriented, can-do attitude
- Coaching mentality / developer of people
- Strong ability to influence
- Self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity
- Able to thrive in a multi-client environment
- Detail oriented, well organized, strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize and follow through
- Commitment to quality
- Ability to create strategic frameworks and marketing plans
- Public speaking and presentation skills: PowerPoint, Google Slides, etc.
- Data and analytic skills
- Project management skills
- Relationship-building skills
- Follows marketing, creative and digital trends
- Familiarity with Marketing Cloud email provider
- Familiarity with Monday.com project management software
- Marketing department
- Internal teams (Programs, Development, Communications, shared services)
- External partners (UVA Brand, vendors)
- Office environment
- Candidates should be prepared to showcase relevant work.
- The University of Virginia Alumni Association is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to attract and retain a diverse workforce and encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply.