|Organization||Virginia Conservation Network|
|Application Deadline||January 30, 2023|
|College Degree Required?||No|
|Salary Range||$40,000 - $45,000|
Reports to: Executive Director
Position Status: Exempt, Salaried; 40 hours/week
Salary: $40,000 – $45,000 with Benefits
The position is based in Richmond, VA. Outside of the General Assembly session, teleworking in the Richmond area is allowed up to two days per week, depending on in-office needs. During the General Assembly session, this position is required to be in the office Monday-Thursday.
To apply: This position will remain posted until the job is filled. The preferred application deadline is January 30, 2023. The target start date is mid-March 2023.
Please apply via this form. Applications submitted via other methods (email, LinkedIn, etc) will not be considered.
VCN is the network of 150+ partner organizations across the Commonwealth committed to building a powerful, diverse, and highly-coordinated conservation movement. VCN works on a wide range of issues, including advancing climate action; restoring the health of the Chesapeake Bay; creating access to parks, trails, and walkable/bikeable communities; ensuring environmental justice for all; and more.
The VCN team includes nine total staff throughout the state. Each staff member works both independently and as part of the team. As a staff, we prioritize meeting up throughout the year for in-person planning meetings, an annual retreat, and other outdoor outings that have included tree planting, rafting down the James River, and visiting our state parks. During the General Assembly, VCN’s Richmond office is a hub office for the environmental community.
VCN is committed to building a more equitable and diverse organization and Network. VCN’s staff works collaboratively to update and implement an annual diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice work plan. You can learn more about our work on DEIJ at https://vcnva.org/deij-commitment
VCN’s Administrative Assistant is a key member of the VCN staff who will work closely with the Executive Director and other members of the team to setup and execute flawless administrative systems to ensure our staff can best engage our Network Partners statewide and further strengthen the Commonwealth’s conservation voice.
Basic Bookkeeping & Compliance
- Tracking and depositing all incoming checks/online contributions, paying monthly bills, and processing staff reimbursements
- Tracking all income/expenses via Quickbooks and reconciling monthly books
- Tracking staff timesheets and coordinating payroll with the bookkeepers
- Serving as the main point of contact for business compliance with VEC, SCC, VDACS, etc.
- Serving as the main point of contact for our healthcare representative
- Serving as the main point of contact for office vendors including utilities, copier rental, building maintenance, etc.
- Tracking conference room usage and preparing the space for VCN and partner meetings
- VCN receives lots of calls and email requests to our general phone line and email box. This position will ensure calls are responded to in a timely manner.
- VCN sends regular hard-copy updates to partners, legislators, and donors. This position is responsible for preparing and shipping these large-scale mailings throughout the year. This requires the ability to lift and move boxes up to 50 lbs.
Partners Logistics and Contact Management
- VCN hosts monthly workgroup calls for issue advocates and experts. This position ensures accurate and complete notes are taken for each call and shared with the appropriate VCN staff.
- Serving as the main point of contact for requesting/tracking partner dues
- VCN uses Salesforce to manage a robust set of contacts, from partners to legislators to donors. This position will work with the staff at VCN to manage these contacts and their subscribed listservs.
- Handling logistics of onboarding and offboarding staff
- Handling logistics for staff travel as needed
- Planning and executing an annual staff retreat to a different area of the Commonwealth each year
Other Duties as Assigned
- VCN is a small team, and everyone takes on tasks as needed to ensure we’re providing the best support for our partners and making the biggest impact we can for conservation in Virginia.
In addition, the Administrative Assistant will work with the rest of the VCN team toward our shared organizational goals around diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice.
Candidates must be extremely detail-oriented and able to create and maintain systems and must have a proven track record of basic bookkeeping. Must be proficient in working with both Microsoft Office Suite and GSuite. Experience with Salesforce and Quickbooks is a plus. While experience with these systems is not a requirement, candidates should show the ability to quickly learn new software systems such as those listed.
Candidates must be able to work with a team as well as individually. Additionally, candidates who apply must have a strong commitment to environmental protection and a drive to fulfill the organization’s mission.
This is a full-time, salaried position based in Richmond, Virginia. The position reports to VCN’s Executive Director. The position requires working outside of the typical business days a few times a month. This position includes travel throughout the state, on average, 3-7 days a year for VCN events, meetings, and retreats. A driver’s license is required, but owning a car is not. Telework option requires high-speed internet capable of video meetings in a dedicated and quiet space.
Compensation and benefits:
The salary for this position is $40,000 – $45,000. Benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance (with partially covered employee premiums); 20 days of vacation plus sick days and holidays; a retirement plan; and family leave. Other benefits include cell phone reimbursements, a budget towards professional development, a parking spot downtown or bike commuter reimbursement, and an annual staff retreat to a different scenic region of the state each year.
Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Virginia Conservation Network to consider all candidates equally without regard to age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or other non-merit factors.