This job is no longer active.
|Organization||Virginia Film Festival|
|Application Deadline||June 11, 2022|
|College Degree Required?||No|
The Virginia Film Festival (VAFF) is seeking candidates for a 2022 Festival Communications Coordinator. The VAFF’s Communications Coordinator will work with Festival staff to plan and implement paid advertising, outreach marketing, and social media campaigns around the 5-day Festival and will also support media relations, copywriting, box office reporting, and website maintenance. This position is a pivotal member of the Festival core staff; will be included in all general staff, senior staff, and programming team meetings; and will be expected to represent the Festival to the University and local communities, as well as to industry guests with the utmost professionalism.
The Communications Coordinator will report directly to the Managing Director, and dates of employment will run from August 15, 2022 to approximately two weeks after the Festival ends on November 18, 2022. The position will work 20 hours per week starting off, increasing to 40 hours per week by early Sept. Due to the nature of this position, there will be periods of time leading up to and during the VAFF during which it will be necessary to work overtime and on weekends. Overtime worked will be compensated with overtime pay. This position will be hired through UVA Temp Services and paid an hourly rate to be informed by the individual’s experience.
Marketing & Social Media
- Create and implement inclusive marketing campaigns, targeting local and UVA communities.
- Create and implement social media campaigns, including content creation and paid campaigns.
- Assist in analyzing box office data and responsively adjust plans and campaigns as needed.
- Work with student interns to implement targeted marketing and social media campaigns.
- Track all marketing initiatives and their estimated reach/impressions.
- Assist in organizing and scheduling press conferences, live remotes, and interviews.
- Support communication to press, including the distribution of credentials, tickets, images, and screeners.
Copywriting & Communications
- Research, write, and proof copy for film blurbs, guest bios, and other promotional copy.
- Write and edit copy for the Festival’s website, e-newsletters, and paid radio, print, and TV ads.
- Support the production of the VAFF’s commercial, trailer, and pre-screening scroll.
- Assist in maintaining the Festival’s website: upload photos, content, schedule, ticketing info, etc.
- Identify, plan for, and represent the VAFF at events, fairs, and other promotional opportunities.
- Create print and social media graphics that are in-line with VAFF brand.
- Help to plan and execute special events.
- Maintain publicity + marketing archives.
- Create and maintain post-Festival attendance and impact reports.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Organizational and problem-solving skills as well as a high-level of attention to detail are essential.
- Experience in promoting arts and/or other cultural events.
- Experience creating engaging and creative social media content and campaigns.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated experience in writing and communicating through a wide variety of mediums to a wide variety of audiences.
- A working knowledge of UVA and local communities and the overall arts and cultural scene.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively within a culturally diverse environment.
- Ability to adapt quickly, work well under pressure, multitask frequently, and meet tight deadlines.
Preferred Experience, Skills, and Interests
- Working knowledge of the film industry.
- A passion for the arts and film.
- Experience in coordinating and organizing arts/film events, programs, and/or screenings.
- Working knowledge in the following computer applications is preferred: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, WordPress.
To Apply: Email a cover letter, resume, and references to VAFF Managing Director Jenny Mays at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line [Your Name] – 2022 VAFF Communications Coordinator Application.
The Virginia Film Festival is a program of the University of Virginia, with support from the Office of the Provost and Vice Provost for the Arts. Each fall, we welcome over 80 guests and screen nearly 100 films on UVA grounds and in the surrounding community over the five days of the Festival. The VAFF will celebrate its 35th year on November 2-6, 2022.