It is always important to research an organization and find out what type of board you would be joining to determine if the opportunity is right for you. Do your due diligence to find out what kind of time commitment you are making, what your role would be regarding committee work, and if board service requires you to fundraise.
In addition to asking questions of the nonprofit, ask yourself if you are passionate about the mission of the organization, if you have the time to be an engaged and effective participant, and if you have the resources (time, skill, capacity) to make an impact in your community.
If you are considering board service and would like to learn more, please join us for our Board Orientation Workshop on Wednesday, May 1 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. CNE Executive Director Cristine Nardi will share information about:
- the unique role of the nonprofit sector
- characteristics of a high-impact board
- fiduciary duties of nonprofit boards
- the board’s role in fundraising and community engagement
- board development as a strategic tool
- the board/CEO partnership